Friday 15 August 2014

Review Beauty Blender // Worth the hype?

Hey Everyone,

So, this has been on my radar for a long time. This is a much loved beauty applicator by beauty bloggers everywhere and is continuously hyped up. My interest was increased after a number of new posts on it, after it was included in a recent Birch Box. Unfortunately, I am not subscribed to this service - yet ;)! So, I made it my business to find the cheapest seller :P! 


It is still expensive for a make up sponge at £14.95 - though it can be as expensive as £16! This is pretty pricey - the question is..is it worth it?

 From the the left beautyblender dry and damp

So, you probably all know the drill by now with this sponge. It is a lovely hot pink sponge, shaped like an egg. The rounder side is for blending on larger areas of the face (such as cheeks, forehead etc.) and the pointy end is for getting in all those nooks and crannies (such as around the nose and under the eyes etc.)

From the left beautyblender, MAC Pro Longwear Foundation in NC15 and Real Techniques Buffing brush

 For this little test, I decided to use one pumps worth of foundation for each side of the face. On the left side I used the beautyblender, and on the right I used my usual brush (RT Buffing brush).


For the left side, the best way to apply the product is to dot it onto the face and then go in with the beautyblender. You use the damp beautyblender in a "bouncing" motion to blend out the foundation. The one thing I will say about application is you do need good lighting when applying; so you don't miss out any lines that need to be blended.

Only right side of photo (left side of face) foundation with beautyblender

As you can see, it gives a gorgeous airbrush look to the skin. This is a medium, build-able coverage foundation; this applicator works best with slightly thicker consistency products. I have used no concealer at this point - so you can still see a couple of my active breakouts showing through (which I would normally cover with concealer). 

On the left beautyblender used. On the right Buffing brush used.

Please excuse my awful skin at the moment (hormonal breakouts suck!). I know this isn't probably the best representation of the applicators; as my skin is pretty bad on the one side. However, there doesn't really seem to be much difference between the two - except the beautyblender may have reduced the appearance of redness (ever-so-slightly more!) 

Both sides foundation.

I don't know if it's just me that sees this - but it appears that my skin on the beautyblender side (right side of the photo) appears less flat. I feels like it gives a more skin like appearance, even when using a medium to full coverage foundation. 

I definitely like the beautyblender, but my only two cons are that it is a bit of a effort. You have to dampen the sponge and tissue it off. Also, this type of blending technique takes slightly longer than your normal buffing brush. Furthermore, I feel you use more product this way than with a brush.

I will continue to use this sponge, and use it when I have a bit more time in the morning to get ready. However, will I repurchase this? Probably - if it slightly cheaper (maybe I'll stock up when I'm next in the US) 

What are your thoughts on the beautyblender?

I hope you enjoyed this post and have a lovely day!
x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...